Alternative launcher for Android with a minimalist but customizable interface
Available for the Android OS, the Nova Launcher app is an intuitive application that allows users to change the aesthetic appearances of their phones and tablets in quick, easy ways.
The Ins and Outs of Nova Launcher for Android
It's very hard to call a new Android smartphone or tablet original. After all, every one you purchase from the store looks exactly the same as the people in front of you or behind you in line. The personalization actually comes by way of aftermarket upgrades to the appearance of your device, through the use of screens, icons, photos, and more. But as most mobile users know, it can be a real pain to customize so much of your device. This is where the Nova Launcher scores huge points. With this easy to use and intuitive application, you can customize a lot of your device, from your home screens and icons to your various folders. And you can do this very quickly and without having to posses any actual technical knowledge. By simply following the app's instructions, you can create a totally personalized mobile device.
Perhaps the best part about this app is that you can customize using HD quality graphics, so any aftermarket upgrades you make look so good that you would think the device came from the company that way. And if customizing the aesthetics isn't enough, you can also use the app to customize gestures and permissions on your device and even to make shortcuts.
Pros and Cons of Nova Launcher
- Very easy to use the app
- HD quality in most of its changes
- Can customize gestures, folders, and much more
- Free and lightweight program
- Only available for Android 4.1 and up
- Some changes could result in functional issues
5.0.1 Dec 20
Fixes for LeEco devices
5.0 Dec 13
Swipe to open drawer (a la Pixel Launcher)
New Pixel style searchbar
New search view, with tabs for Frequent, Recent and New/Updated apps
New "Timeout" screen lock method
New double-tap-swipe gestures
Android 7.1 launcher shortcuts
Dock backgrounds to draw under navbar
Quick start to easily change major settings (Nova Settings > Backup > Quick start)
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CALL_PHONE: Allows an application to initiate a phone call without going through the Dialer user interface for the user to confirm the call.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BIND_APPWIDGET: Allows an application to tell the AppWidget service which application can access AppWidget's data. The normal user flow is that a user picks an AppWidget to go into a particular host, thereby giving that host application access to the private data from the AppWidget app. An application that has this permission should honor that contract.
- EXPAND_STATUS_BAR: Allows an application to expand or collapse the status bar.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- SET_WALLPAPER: Allows applications to set the wallpaper.
- SET_WALLPAPER_HINTS: Allows applications to set the wallpaper hints.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SETTINGS: Allows an application to read or write the system settings.